KANGAR, 11 Feb 2009: A student plucked his younger brother to safety when fire razed their house in Taman Bunga Seroja, Padang Katong near here early today.
Ahmad Alafi Hakimi, 17, who was awakened by his mother calls, saved his eight-year-old brother, who was sleeping in an adjacent room.
“I panicked as my room was already engulfed in flames. As I got up to make my escape, a burning wood fell on my mattress.
“I carried my brother downstairs and called out for the neighbours for help,” he told reporters here today.
Ahmad Alafi, who is sitting for Sijil Penilaian Malaysia (SPM) this year, said he lost his books and clothes in the fire.
His mother, Rusila Saad, 45, said she was awaken by the smell of smoke and was shocked to see Ahmad Alafi’s room, which was adjacent to hers, was on fire.
“Thank God my son woke up. We could hardly salvage any belongings,” said Rusila, a Kemas kindergarten teacher. She estimated her losses at RM30,000.
The Raja of Perlis Tuanku Syed Sirajuddin Putra Jamalullail, who was accompanied by Menteri Besar Datuk Seri Dr Md Isa Sabu visited Rusila and her children.
Perlis Fire and Rescue Department operation officer Mohd Syukri Mat Zuki said four terrace houses were destroyed in the fire, causing damage estimated at RM140,000.
He said 13 firefighters with three engines from Kangar, which arrived at the scene at 2.32am, took 35 minutes to bring the blaze under control.
Meanwhile, a 60-year-old man was rushed to the Tuanku Fauziah Hospital after he was overcome by smoke when fire razed his house at Jalan Guar Syed Alwi near here last night. The fire started from the living room at 11.40pm. — Bernama