SHAH ALAM, 29 Oct 2009: The Selangor state government today blamed the Shah Alam Town Council (MBSA) for the demolition of a purported temple on Jalan Persiaran Kerjaya, Section U1 on 21 Oct.
Selangor executive councillor Dr Xavier Jayakumar, who is also chairperson of the Selangor Non-Muslim Houses of Worship Committee, said MBSA’s action was not right as any action to demolish temples should be referred to the state government.
“We know that MBSA need not issue a notice to the management of the temple for such action because it was built without any approval, but since it was decided last year that such action should be referred to the state government, MBSA should not have acted on its own,” he told reporters here today.
He added that although there was truth in MBSA’s claim that the place was being used by gamblers for illegal four-digit activities, MBSA must have informed the state government to combat such immoral activities together.
Xavier, who is also chairperson of the Health, Plantation Workers, Poverty and Caring Government Committee, urged local councils and district offices in Selangor to refer such matters to the state government before taking any action.
“State secretary Datuk Ramli Mahmud will issue a standard operating procedure to all local councils and district offices,” he said.
All places of worship built before March last year would be allowed to operate, but new buildings or new places of worship to be built must get the approval of the state government first, he said.
Deputy Shah Alam Mayor Mohtar Hani had said last Friday that MBSA had not demolished a temple, but rather an illegal structure used by gamblers for illegal four-digit activities.
Mohtar had said that MBSA had received a written complaint from the Petaling Jaya Public Works Department on 19 Jan that an illegal structure had been built on land that belonged to the department. — Bernama