Categorised | News

Royal commission only after inquest

PEKAN, 4 Aug 2009: Datuk Seri Najib Razak today once again stressed that the Royal Commission of Inquiry to study the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC)’s interrogation methods would only begin its work after the inquest into the death of political aide Teoh Beng Hock was completed.

The prime minister said the inquest into Teoh’s death was still going on and all quarters must wait for the findings.

“We have to go through the inquest first as it will identify the causes of (Teoh’s) death, and after that the Royal Commission of Inquiry will look at the MACC’s procedures and take into consideration the findings of the inquest. The sequence has to be right; the inquest first,” he told reporters today.

Najib was asked about the latest developments on the Royal Commission of Inquiry.

Najib had on 22 July stated that a Royal Commission of Inquiry would be set up to investigate the interrogation methods used by MACC when they interrogated the late Teoh.

Teoh, 30, was found dead on the 5th floor of Plaza Masalam in Shah Alam after he gave his statement as a witness to the Selangor MACC on the 14th floor of the building.

The investigation by MACC was into the alleged misuse of state allocations by a number of Selangor state executive councillors and assemblypersons.

On the statement by Communication, Information and Culture Minister Datuk Seri Dr Rais Yatim that several people who took part in Saturday’s anti-ISA rally in Kuala Lumpur had been hired to do so, Najib said the police were investigating the claim.

“It’s up to the police to act. They have to look at the country’s laws and the extent of the individuals’ involvement in the illegal rally,” he said.

Earlier, Najib launched the Special Economic Zone of the East Coast Economic Region (Ecer) and the Pekan agropolitan project in Runchang, near here.

Also present were Pahang Menteri Besar Datuk Seri Adnan Yaakob, Terengganu Menteri Besar Datuk Ahmad Said and Kelantan Menteri Besar Datuk Nik Aziz Nik Mat. — Bernama

See also:
The problem with the MACC

Post to Twitter Post to Google Buzz Post to Delicious Post to Digg Post to Facebook Post to StumbleUpon

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

One Response to “Royal commission only after inquest”

  1. kanna says:

    May I know what was the outcome of the Royal Commission on the Lingam case? What hope is there that something concrete or relevant will come out of this Commission? To me all this is a forgone conclusion. The verdict is clear.


Most Read (Past 3 Months)

Most Comments (Past 3 Months)

  • None found

Advertisement


<

Advertisement


<
  • The Nut Graph

 

Switch to our mobile site