Updated at 11.55am, 10 April 2009
KUALA LUMPUR, 10 April 2009: Deputy Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin led the newly appointed cabinet ministers and deputy minister in taking their oath of office before Yang di-Pertuan Agong Tuanku Mizan Zainal Abidin at Istana Negara here today.
Present were Raja Pemaisuri Agong Tuanku Nur Zahirah, Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak and former prime ministers Tun Abdullah Ahmad Badawi and Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad.
The swearing-in was telecast live over RTM1.
The ceremony at Balairong Seri Istana Negara started at 9.30am with Muhyiddin receiving his letter of appointment.
After taking the oath of office, loyalty and confidentiality, he signed the instrument of appointment, witnessed by Court of Appeal President Tan Sri Alauddin Mohd Sheriff and Chief Secretary to the Government Tan Sri Mohd Sidek Hassan.
Five senior ministers, Datuk Seri Ong Tee Keat (Transport), senator Tan Sri Koh Tsu Koon (Prime Minister’s Department), Tan Sri Bernard Dompok (Plantation Industries and Commodities), Datuk Seri Mohamed Nazri Aziz (Prime Minister’s Department) and Datuk Seri Hishammuddin Hussein (Home) then took their oath, led by Nazri.
The other ministers and deputy ministers followed, taking their oath in batches of four or five.
The ministers are:
- Datuk Seri Rais Yatim (Information, Communications, Arts and Culture);
- Tan Sri Nor Mohamed Yakcop (Prime Minister’s Department);
- Datuk Peter Chin Fah Kui (Energy, Green Technology and Water);
- Datuk Seri Mohd Shafie Apdal (Rural and Regional Development);
- Datuk Seri Mohd Khaled Nordin (Higher Education);
- Datuk Mustapa Mohamed (International Trade and Industry);
- Datuk Dr Maximus Ongkili (Science, Technology and Innovation);
- Datuk Douglas Uggah Embas (Natural Resources and Environment);
- Datuk Seri Dr Ng Yen Yen (Tourism);
- Datuk Noh Omar (Agriculture and Agro-based Industry);
- Datuk Seri Dr Ahmad Zahid Hamidi (Defence);
- Datuk Shaziman Abu Mansor (Works);
- Datuk Liow Tiong Lai (Health);
- Datuk Ahmad Shabery Cheek (Youth and Sports);
- Datuk Dr S Subramaniam (Human Resources);
- Datuk Ismail Sabri Yaakob (International Trade and Industry);
- Datuk Ahmad Husni Mohamad Hanadzlah (Second Finance);
- Datuk Kong Cho Ha (Housing and Local Government);
- Datuk Seri Shahrizat Abdul Jalil (Women, Family and Community Development); Datuk Anifah Aman (Foreign);
- Datuk Raja Nong Chik Raja Zainal Abidin (Federal Territories); and
- Datuk Jamil Khir Baharom (Prime Minister’s Department).
The deputy ministers were then sworn in.
Najib’s wife, Datin Seri Rosmah Mansor, Muhyiddin’s wife, Puan Seri Norainee Abdul Rahman, Abdullah’s wife, Tun Jeanne Abdullah, and Mahathir’s wife, Tun Dr Siti Hasmah were also present.
Najib was sworn in as prime minister on 3 April 2009.
After the ceremony, Tuanku Mizan had a group photograph with Najib and the ministers and deputy ministers. — Bernama