Categorised | News

Melaka declared meningitis-free

MELAKA, 19 May 2009: Melaka was today declared free of meningitis as there are no more patients undergoing treatment for the disease at the Melaka Hospital.

State women affairs, health and family development committee chairperson Norpipah Abdol said three remaining patients, comprising trainees of the Road Transport Department Academy, who were treated at the hospital’s isolation ward, were discharged at 8am today.

“Four other trainees treated at the same ward were allowed to go home yesterday,” she told reporters at the hospital today.

Also present was state Health Director Dr Ghazali Othman.

A trainee died of the disease at the Melaka Hospital on May 4 and a day later, nine trainees were admitted to the hospital due to meningitis.

At one time the number of meningitis patients swelled to 41.

Norpipah said the quarantine order for other trainees at the academy had been withdrawn and all activities resumed as usual.

“The public should no longer worried and should continue with their normal activities and keep on maintaining hygiene,” she said.

She thanked the Health Department, doctors and staff at the hospital for acting swiftly in containing the disease. — Bernama

Post to Twitter Post to Google Buzz Post to Delicious Post to Digg Post to Facebook Post to StumbleUpon

Tags:

Comments are closed.

Most Read (Past 3 Months)

Most Comments (Past 3 Months)

  • None found

Advertisement


<

Advertisement


<
  • The Nut Graph

 

Switch to our mobile site